So our search continues. We have visited with two church groups since we arrived and we are already learning so much about this process. When we started we didn't know how we would clearly know where we belong. We didn't feel right about a firm checklist but there are a few things we are looking for while keeping ourselves open.
- A place for our kids. Not just a place to stick them so mommy can have a break (although that is nice!!!!!) but a place where are our kids can be around other children and adults who love Jesus and are learning to grow more like Him. (Of course Rob and I realize and embrace that our kids are being discipled by us and what they get in these gatherings is just extra.)
- We want to find a community full of life. A group of people who want to grow and are actively pursuing Father God.
- A place where small groups, home groups, life groups (you get the picture) are the core of the church experience.
- A place where the pastor is one of the body and not the set apart leader- per se.
- This one is not a necessity but a preference for me....I am pretty put off by the NEED for a building or a NEED to grow a church so stuff like that irks me.
Yesterday's experience was pleasant. The kids had fun, the songs we sang were moving but we both had a feeling of been there done that and don't want to do it again. We probably would have given the place another try, if nothing else we have some friends who go there, but the kiss of death was the way they approached small groups.
They made an announcement, well several announcements, that this was the LAST Sunday to sign up for small groups. We thought that was strange- how can it be the last day? Maybe they need to order books? huh? So, after the gathering I went up to the friendly couple manning the sign up table and told them it was our first Sunday and we weren't quite ready to commit to a small group. I asked her if it was REALLY the last Sunday or could we jump in later after we knew if this was for us. I was ready for them to say sure, you can jump in any time but, no. Her response, I kid you not, was "No, sorry you would have to wait." I asked her how long the sessions were and she said 10 weeks! 10 weeks! Two and a half months! For 10 weeks I would have to wait before joining these groups that they themselves said was the best way to get connected. I guess they aren't too concerned about everyone getting connected? Well, that sealed the deal for us- we saw that for them these groups are a program and not part of who they really are.
On a side note, Rob is LOVING the guest parking these places have. I find it a bit embarrassing or obnoxious to use them but Rob is all about the perks.
I love following along on this journey with you. I can't wait for the post titled "We Found It!" Love you!!
ReplyDeleteYou will know!
ReplyDelete