There is no greater task then to raise your children and be able to help shape them to be the best them they can be. I have always taken this task to heart. When I dedicated my children I spent time in prayer beforehand seeking God on what that meant. I didn't dedicate either of them until I knew in my heart that I was ready to give them back to Father God and let Him guide their paths. Of course in my selfish and controlling ways I often have to be reminded that they are not mine but His.
It's been interesting to watch my children's personalities take shape and see who they are. With Malinda we have seen this earlier on as she came out of the womb talking and expressing herself quite well- too well! Of course I know she will change and grow over the years but there are some things that are just her. As I watch her I can also see those areas that Satan will be quick to swoop in and continually speak lies to her about herself. It breaks my heart when I see this and I am so quick to blame myself and see all my failures as a mother. I am always praying that the Holy Spirit will make up for my weaknesses, my failures, my mistakes. That He would speak truth to those areas.
Somewhere along the road I feel as if some of my passion and focus on raising my children with purpose has been lost or misplaced. I have gotten into that lazy parenting mode of reacting instead of responding with purpose. So, as Rob and I were talking about this the other night we talked about wanting to show more grace. To err on the side of too much grace rather than not enough. We started wondering what that would look like? My personality doesn't allow for much grace. To me it's being permissive or allowing them to walk all over us. I don't want to have those kind of children. I don't want to be one of those moms that people (me) look at think what is wrong with her? Why doesn't she pop him and get it over with???
If, as parents- especially dads, we represent Father God to our children then I think there should be more grace. But what does that look like????? So, we have talked about embarking on an experiment of grace. To see what grace would look like in our family for a month. We aren't quite ready because we aren't sure where to begin. We will be praying and seeing what God shows us but we are curious what any of you might have to say. Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts....while you are at it please subscribe/follow my blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment