I am starting to think Father God can read my mind. It's getting kind of odd. Here is an example....
So tonight as I sat in the way back of the room, choosing to sit there so I can see when Sam needed help in the potty, my mind began running. I began observing the young girls walking into the room and thinking - wow! I think I am getting old as I really don't understand some of this fashion. Like when did it become fashionable to look like you just crawled out of bed after partying all night? Seriously! They obviously work hard to get their hair like that- so weird! Then that thought led me to begin thinking about all the ways we are different from most of the people in the room. In fact sometimes it feels that the differences far outweigh the commonalities. I then find myself asking, how long? How long can this go on? How long will we stay here among a community that we don't naturally fit into? I start thinking-that what keeps me returning are the relationships. Somehow those work. Somehow we find ourselves tied to these precious people.
But I continued to wonder-will there come a time that differences become to great? Too big to overcome?
Then my attention shifted as I heard him say something about being on a journey together. A journey together- in spite of our differences. He speaks of his marriage and throws out the challenge that there is no couple more different than he and his wife. I think- HA! We could come out at least dead even with them if not dominate that arena. He speaks about how they don't walk away from each other because of these differences but rather they become more committed to their love for each other. It's not about trying to change each other but respecting and loving each other for who we each are.
Community- Journey- Differences- Commitment.
Yeah, I think Father God might just be able to read my thoughts.
I still wonder about some of these differences. I still wonder about my future, but at the same time, I keep hearing His voice speaking to me while I am in this strange land- this strange community- that has to be a good thing....oh and did I mention that although I feel different amongst this community I also feel great doses of love and acceptance?
Amy, I am so glad you are a part of our strange little land. What gives me so much hope is you are wondering and thinking about what is different about this experience and how God is speaking to you. This is the space where God can work as I know he does in you. Thanks for keeping Da Funk real.
ReplyDelete