
It was a special day that boys give gifts to girls, probably Valentine's Day. I sat with my classmates in our little schoolroom all wearing our blue and white uniforms waiting in anticipation to see who was at the door. In walked a tall handsome classmate of mine and in his arms were bouquets of roses and he approached each girl handing them there flowers. I was so worried I wouldn't get one that I came up behind him and carefully slid one flower out from his arm and sat back in my seat. When i sat down I looked at the other girls and realized that their flowers were held together by three pretty gold rings. It was at this moment that the handsome classmate reached me and he saw that I already had a flower so he didn't bother to give me anymore and I was crushed when I realized that I only had one flower and no rings. I had missed out!
This was a dream I had when I was 15 years old and the message has stuck out to me all these years. Be patient! I tend to be in rush and worried that I will miss out on something good that I will find a way to make sure it happens. Every time I do this and I am left with only a partial blessing. I only get part of the gift intended for me. Father God has intended for me to live a rich and full life but my impatience inevitably gets in the way.
I have been reading this great book by Susie Larson entitled,
"Growing Grateful Kids" and in the chapter about practicing restraint Susie tells a great story that reminded me of this dream. She told of a time when her older brother sat down to eat a
Twinkie which she thought the last one had been eaten long before. She sat there and drooled over it and finally asked her brother if she could have it. Before he could answer she reached out and grabbed it. In the process she had squished the poor yummy cake and was left with nothing but a big mess.

Which her brother then said to her something to the effect of, you didn't need to grab it I was going to give it you anyway. I kid you not, that night Rob pulled out a Twinkie (which we normally never have in the house but I was compelled to buy a box after I read that chapter) and do you know what happened? Malinda asked for a bite and before Rob could hand it to her she....you guessed it grabbed for it! She didn't squish it but she knocked it out of his hand onto the floor. I was able to share the above story with her and one day when she is ready I will share my dream with her too.
How often do we grab for the blessing before it's time? How often do we act like orphans who do not have a good Father looking out for them? How often do we forget that He has a plan for us? I desperately want the full bouquet with the rings given from the lover of my soul. I want the full fluffy Twinkie that hasn't been squished beyond enjoyment.
Patience......
I was so blessed to read this blog. It was a blessing.
ReplyDeleteWonderful
ReplyDeleteBlessed! Provoking...
ReplyDeleteIt truly blessed me. After taking a class on the fathers love and leaning all about Him wanting to bless us has caused me to sit more in His presence.
ReplyDelete