Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Worst Christmas Ever?

This could very well go down as the worst Christmas ever! I have none of my special Christmas decorations around me to help me feel all festive, I am away from my family who are all up north or somewhere over the ocean dancing a jig in Ireland. We have all been sick for what feels like FOREVER! In fact we are all so cruddy we aren't even preparing the yummy feast we had planned and been drooling over. The house does not smell like the amazing baked goods that had been talked about. Christmas cards were not even attempted and to top it all off there is no hope of a white Christmas! I am just happy it will not be in the 70's!

So, this very well could be the worst Christmas ever! A Christmas to go down in the books! But it's not. It's not and it won't be. Instead I am surrounded by the decorations and tree that my Rob grew up looking at and I am surrounded by family who are so generous and patient. I am living in a home with people who know how to celebrate the small things and know how to find beauty when everything else looks grim. I am surrounded by family who is just that- FAMILY! Who know how to share the load and not pass judgement when in my delirious state I am slightly less than sweet to my kids, husband or anyone who gets in my path for that matter. I love my family of origin traditions but I am learning to practice and find beauty in the ways of my husband's family.....my family.

Sometimes it is hard to live out that little extra passage in my vows that everyone liked so much. That passage from Ruth that says... "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." It's hard to open up to something new - something not what you wanted. It's hard to accept but I am thankful for Father God who has His sneaky ways of getting us to a point of seeing beauty where we didn't always have eyes to see.

So, we may all have pink eye and coughing up a reindeer or two by Christmas morning but I will be surrounded by some of the most beautiful people I know!

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go girl. Iam so proud of you. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete