
So I can't help but wonder if people, and when I say people I mean Christians, who have such issue with the Twilight series have issues with all things fantasy or is there something that makes them think Twilight is special and by special I mean more evil than other things? I mean can we all please get off the Christian bandwagon and take a look at things as a whole? Why is a Twilight book/movie more evil than let's say Star Wars or World of Warcraft or a slew of other fantasy books, shows, movies and games? While we are on the topic of fantasy isn't just about every romantic comedy a fantasy movie? Every Nicholas Sparks book full of perfect men who can sweep a woman off her feet in an hour and a half? I find these movies to be just as dangerous if not more so than a movie with a vampire and werewolf. I mean it's pretty obvious to us that it's imaginary but there are a whole lot of women out there sabotaging there relationships when there men do not behave like a Matthew Mcconaughey character!
I am not blind to the fact there are some gory and disturbing aspects about the Twilight saga. I am very disturbed by the young girls I see following this series and I think it's important to note that the author did not write this series for teens or tweens. It was written for adults- of course seeing some grown women fawn over the actors is pretty sad as well. BUT let me say that NOT all grown women who enjoy and follow this saga are drooling over the teenage characters. I was bothered when I recently watched a snippet from a Mark Driscoll teaching that implied all grown women were acting "nasty" when watching this series. Yes, some are acting nasty but let us not lump all women into this group.
A few years ago I taught a class entitled Spirituality in the Media. We looked at all forms of media and looked for the spiritual lessons be promoted. We evaluated whether the message was of any worth. So, I get it! I really do. I get that all forms of media has a message and we are often taken by the lights and glamour of it all that we do not pay attention to this message. I know we have to be careful with what we watch and read but I have real issue when certain Christians jump on one movie or book of the year (how many believers took to hiding when it came to reading the Harry Potter series lest they be publicly scorned a few years back) and condemn others for reading or watching such filth. I wish Christians would stop and evaluate themselves and their own behavior before trying to correct so many of us wayward souls. I am often surprised at the video games, violent movies, romantic comedies, crude humor, etc.. that believers are ok with but slam others for things they feel are too overtly "evil".
I know I am responsible for what I watch and what I open myself up to- that's why I stay away form certain things-the things the HOLY SPIRIT tells me to stay clear of not some preacher or group. Perhaps instead of slamming a series, believers should learn how to hear the Holy Spirit for themselves. How to discern what God is saying to THEM!
No comments:
Post a Comment