I never set out to homeschool my children. It was never a conviction I had or something I grew up experiencing. I remember before we had kids we always talked about when our kids would go to school. We really started home educating because my little girl was too much of a smarty pants to not do something with her. A couple of years later and it became a good financial option as we could not afford private school and public school was one option we felt strongly against for our family. This year we have found ourselves in a position to send our kids to a private school that we are thankful to have found. It met the three criteria we had: strong academic program, prominent Biblical worldview and secure facility (which tends to be lacking in many private schools). So, we are wrapping up our first 9 weeks and this is what I have learned:
- I now truly believe that homeschooling is the best option for us.
- I was doing a great job teaching my kids.
- I like being around my kids and learning with them.
- Some people really do have a closed mind or attitude towards homeschooling for no founded reason.
- Sometimes 2nd best has to be enough and it's ok that it's not perfect.
- Giving your kids 2nd best is crummy.
- My kids are brilliant and that has nothing to do with me.
- God has a way of making up for what is lacking.
- I now can better define to people why I value home educating over group educating.
Anyway, these were just some of my random thoughts. It's where we are today and I don't really know how long we will be in this season but it is what it is for now.
Hey Amy! This was nice to read! I've often wondered how my kids would do if we hadto send them to a public/private school. What a blessing for you that you now have the knowledge that should you get the opportunity to homeschool again that you can do so with complete confidence in your abilities!
ReplyDeleteHomeschooling certainly isn't easy, as you know, but I now believe more than ever that it is worth the effort! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Delete