Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Here I Go.....

Ok so, it's 5:00AM and one of my little ones needed something! Ugh why couldn't it be 1:00AM?! Then I could have gone back to sleep but now I am awake so I guess I will troll onto Facebook and see if any of my exciting friends have been up and about while I slept. I stumbled upon a post that so resonated with me that I not only shared it on my own page but I posted a rant and began to unleash all that I have been feeling lately and quite honestly for years. Typing it all on my little phone made it seem longer than it was but I realized that it was turning in to a blog post. A post of things I need to say and have wanted to say for a while. So start by reading my little post and even the article that riled me up this early Tuesday morning and then meet up with me... 
 





I always assume only my family and closest friends read this and know who I am but I feel the need to set this post up a bit for the off chance that someone else reads this. So, here I am 35 years old married to a perfect for me man and raising two children. I love Father God and His entire family (at least I think I do. I am certain about loving Father God and I am trying to love all His kids too.) I grew up in a typical spirit-filled church pastored by my parents in a small town in New England. I was a good church kid who had her problems but overall I didn't get into much trouble. I went to Bible College where I learned how to pastor and how to love people. You know, studied it in books and such. Then off we went, Rob and I, to serve in churches. We found ourselves feeling really out of place. Time and time again we felt like failures as we would leave a place after a short time but then we realized....we weren't failures we were just trying to wear a tacky Lycra suit that wasn't designed for us to wear. We found ourselves rejecting what church had become. All this talk about buildings and fundraisers and mission statements and growing bigger and council meetings and better sermons and bigger salaries and shinier faces and blah blah blah it had made us sick. Literally! I found myself so out of sorts that I believe it played a role in the depression I experienced when it all came to a head. SO we walked away from it.....ministry as a career.

Ok, so I shared all that because I want people to know that I am not some angry anti established church type crazy person. I grew up in the church and I tried to embrace it all- so much so that I chose a career in it. A career that I was willing to do for free at times because I so believed in it.

But today I say- ENOUGH! ENOUGH! ENOUGH! If I could scream this I would! ENOUGH!

Enough of ruining the image of Christ's Bride! We have prostituted ourselves out so much that I wonder if we even resemble the girl He fell in love with! With our fancy songs and our slick creative media driven teachings and our fun hyped up kid's programs trying to convince kids that Jesus is fun when really He is hard and messy and dirty (and full of LOVE). With our sign up sheets on ways to "serve" and our making it easy for people to feel comfortable and millions of wasted dollars on salaries and programs and buildings and garbage! Did we learn nothing from the early church?! At least we could have learned something from Schindler's List.....STUFF DOESN'T MATTER! PEOPLE DO!

If we want these things then fine but can we stop acting like they are in place to draw people in. They are in place for us! For our enjoyment and comfort. I take my kids to VBS and I let them have fun dancing to those songs and I hope somewhere in there they grabbed hold of a nugget of truth but if I leave it at that I would be wrong. That was fun and entertaining but I need to make sure they know that following Jesus is about going where it's uncomfortable and showing love. It's about dying to yourself and living unto Christ.

I believe this yet I struggle with my own choices. My desire to move into a house with a yard so I can have more space and time with my family as opposed to purposely living in close proximity with people so I can have a close up look at what people's needs are and be available to meet those needs. It's always going to be a struggle. Our comfort and our desires will always be there hollering and grabbing for our attention. I just pray that the church is a catalyst in helping us stay focused and holding us accountable on what really matters. Sadly, that's not the message I am hearing or seeing.

I want to be part of a group of people who study God's Word and spend time at His feet worshipping Him. A place that we come together to encourage each other and challenge each other to live out what we are reading. A group of people who say we need to make sure other people are experiencing this same love and freedom that we are and then partners together to do so. A group that pools their resources and gifts and touches the world around them without getting bogged down in the extras. To me, a building, a paid leader, sign up sheets and comfortable settings are not needed when you live this out.

[My little disclaimer: I am not personally attacking your church. I do not imagine to have it all together. I do not think church is bad, just broken. I do not think your church is not doing some good. These are my beliefs. I LOVE THE CHURCH- if we are talking about the church as being people not a place. I am not a trouble maker and I want people to like me, but this is my blog so it's my little corner in this world to express myself. Be nice.]
 




 

7 comments:

  1. Did I ever tell you about the last Foursquare church I attended? (Although attended is not the right word... the last church I loved and trusted completely and poured my heart and soul into is a better description.) Sometime after Bible College, I asked to sit down with a pastor and ask some questions about the church's vision. The head pastor himself took some time to meet with me. I asked him what he felt about the prosperity movement and if he thought it was gaining influence in our church (via guest speakers, conferences, etc.). The conversation did not go particularly well, but I was thankful he took the time out to meet with me. But I was appalled during the next Sunday morning service when he decided to pray for me in front of the whole church and asked God to deal with my spirit of rebellion and judgment (oddly he did not offer to pray with me at our meeting).

    I didn't even leave that church right then and there... I stuck with it and tried to find my place in the church as a young adult but never could.

    So that is the risk of questioning a church's vision. The dialoge on FB today brought that to mind.

    Fast forward to the present. A few months ago, my dad confronted me about my sporadic church attendance. I told him it sure would be a lot easier to commit if I could find a church that actually has an impact on my community. My hope for the future is that just one church like that in every community would result in the change our nation so desperately needs.

    Now here's another story:

    I watched a Star Trek re-run the other day. It was an old one where they found a parallel earth, but somehow the Roman Empire still flourished even though it was the 20th century. They befriended a leader of a growing band of rebels running around fighting slavery and tyranny who identified themselves as "Sun-worshipers". This is the end of the show:

    SPOCK: I wish we could have examined that belief of his more closely. It seems illogical for a sun worshiper to develop a philosophy of total brotherhood. Sun worship is usually a primitive superstition religion.
    UHURA: I'm afraid you have it all wrong, Mister Spock, all of you. I've been monitoring some of their old-style radio waves, the empire spokesman trying to ridicule their religion. But he couldn't. Don't you understand? It's not the sun up in the sky. It's the Son of God.
    KIRK: Caesar and Christ. They had them both. And the word is spreading only now.
    MCCOY: A philosophy of total love and total brotherhood.
    SPOCK: It will replace their imperial Rome, but it will happen in their twentieth century.
    KIRK: Wouldn't it be something to watch, to be a part of? To see it happen all over again? Mister Chekov, take us out of orbit. Ahead warp factor one.
    CHEKOV: Aye, sir.

    Can you imagine? Being in a world where Christianity has that kind of influence? The kind with the power to transform corruption and end tyranny? That was the early church. And now, as our country devolves into a similar period of "Bread and circuses" we once again need The Church to stand for something different. But "Bread and Circuses" could also describe many a modern church today, don't you think?

    Wish you were here! I would join your group. I love the idea of CARES and have been following your updates on that. Keep questioning and struggling and pushing the envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed your blog. Your writing truly reveals what is in your heart. Surely everyone can share a story of horror AND a story of love from their own traditional church experiences. The question is do we want to "stay put" or do we want to move forward as you have challenged us.

    I will sign this comment as from the man who pastored in that small New England town - your Dad who loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, that saddens me! I know how much that church meant to you and I can't imagine what that must have felt like. It does amaze me at what we have the capacity to be, if only we weren't so distracted. Of course, isn't that so true all around. How much more could I personally accomplish or become if I wasn't so distracted.

    I have to admit that it brings me GREAT giddiness and joy to know that after all these years and going our separate ways you and I would still get along and have much to discuss over a Dr. Pepper and a Pepperoni roll.

    Don't give up out there! You can't be the only one in your city who desires to worship God in a stripped down powerful way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been times when I have been proud of you.

    This is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are only proud of me at times??? I thought you were always proud of me! LOL! I love you mom!

      Delete
    2. Proud for different reasons. proud! always! OXOX

      Delete
  5. As long as there are thinkers such as Amy, the church will always have a fighting chance . Rev dr dore

    ReplyDelete