Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Waffle Anyone?

Things have been so heavy around here lately. Whoever has been writing this stuff is sounding like a real downer. So here is something to lighten things up a little....

This is one of those times that I am both happy and sad I do not have a picture to accompany this post.

Last night we had a CARES event scheduled. Nothing major just a simple night of Brinner advertised as Waffles Under the Stars. We had four waffle irons and a ton of toppings planned. I mean everything from Chili and cheese to strawberries and Nutella. It was looking to be a yummy night.

Once we decided to set up the waffle irons and let people make their own we thought this would be
A piece of cake.
Easy as pie.
Easy Breezy.
A Monkey could do this blindfolded.
A breeze.
You get the picture.

We didn't arrange for childcare, we had no volunteers lined up and we thought we were in for a simple night. Typically we have about 50-60 people for events like Pizza Night or a holiday event. The most we have EVER had was 72 and that was when we had pizza and I continued to pray that God would keep multiplying the food. We honestly were hoping for 30 people.

Because this post could be forever long if I try to eloquently describe each mishap I am going to simply list things out as they happened......

- Due to someone's meltdown we were about 15 mins late in getting set up.
- A sweet neighbor hovered around us and kept asking every 10 mins when we would be ready.
-The movie we brought to keep the kids occupied and in place would not work.
-We forgot the cheese at home which Rob had to run back to get,
-The waffle mix seemed to multiply in thickness from the time we made it to the time we tried to serve it.
-At 7:00 there seemed to be about 20 people apparate from out of nowhere.
-I ran inside to make more batter and seemed to have forgotten how to multiply simple fractions and wound up guessing at the waffle recipe.
-My black shirt was covered in waffle mix and I looked like a scary hot mess!
-Around 8:30 I am informed by neighbor that my shirt is inside out!
-Our son disappeared and scared the snot out of us and himself! (It was just a few minutes but still! He spent the rest of the night inside with me.)
-At 9:00 when I finally got to sit down and eat a waffle it was sooo good and all I could think of is why don't people eat waffles more often?!

I love CARES and I love my neighborhood. It really is an honor and privilege to serve this community! What's on the agenda next month???? VOLUNTEERS and CHILDCARE!

No comments:

Post a Comment