Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Good Enough For Me

Hello, my name is Amy and I am a quitter. I quit hobbies, cleaning routines, crafts, schedules, diets, you name it. I even remember quitting little league after the second game because we hadn't won and I didn't want to be on a losing team. Although, seeing that I was only 11 I might have to blame that one on my parents. Yeah, there we go, it's all their fault for not making me see that season through.

Just ask my personal trainer who watches me try to wimp out all the time. Who listens to me groan and complain and beg to stop. If she's not around I usually don't push as hard, run as long, sweat as much.

Here I am ten pounds down since Easter and I feel great! I feel stronger, look better, feel better and all I want to do is quit. Sit here at this place for a while and then start up again later. The really odd thing is when I ask myself what it is that I want to quit I am not sure. It's not like I am longing for anything special. It's not that I am walking around hungry or feeling deprived (most of the time). I don't even really want to stop the exercises....I just want to quit. Quit caring, quit the work.

This feels good.....Can't I just stop here? Isn't this close enough to my goal??? No, not even close. I know 20 lbs off will feel good too but I can not imagine that right now. Instead it's easier to just quit.

I think of when God led the Israelites to their Promised Land and those 2 1/2 tribes decided that the land they came to outside the Promised Land was good enough for them. They wanted to settle there and not press on to settle in what God had been trying to give them for decades. How could they be so close and decide that what they saw before them, although much better than the desert they had been wandering in, was better than what God had planned for them? It seems that what they were focused on was their comfort and immediate gratification rather than experiencing God's blessing.

I find it interesting that God allowed them to settle outside the Promised Land. God has amazing things planned for us but He isn't going to force them on us. If I want to quit now and settle here at 10lbs rather than go for the whole thing I can. But, I will never know the fullness of what He has prepared for me. My Father created this body of mine to house my soul and enable me to live life fully. I do not want to miss out on all that He has planned for me.

So, I will press on and keep walking towards the promises He has given me. I don't want to sit across the river and wonder what life would be like on the other side. I am tip toeing into the river and trying to keep my eyes focused on His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment